Sunday, April 29, 2012

St. Mark Teenagers


Greetings to all of you!

Last Saturday I had the privilege of spending some time with a group of our St. Mark teenagers on their Confirmation retreat. It was a great time to talk with them and spend some time eating dinner and afterwards celebrating Mass with young men that I normally wouldn't be able to spend quality time with. Needless-to-say I was impressed by their openness and ability to express themselves in a mature way which made me forget for the time being that they were still teenagers. We have a remarkable group of young people in our parish and I give lots of credit to their parents for passing on their faith, wisdom, and love to these young men and women in these difficult times. I know it's not easy raising teenagers with all the distractions that this world brings and you're doing a wonderful job!

After reading in the paper about Tampa, specifically Ybor City, being the home of the Cuban sandwich, I just had to make a trip down there and take a stroll along 7th Ave and visit some of the restaurants and wine and cigar bars that proliferate the city. I did get invited to eat at the Columbia Restaurant on

Sunday night, although it has been many years since I ate there, and found the food to be wonderful. I also had a half glass of their wonderful Sangria, ok, a full glass since it was so good (remember the glasses are small).

Anyway, I had the salad which was a meal in itself and later the Grouper "El Greco" which was absolutely delicious! Ybor continues to be quite a place with it's rich history and its "enigmatic sights." Maybe next time I will go and have one of their great cigars that everybody talks about and watch all the

interesting people go by! As I write this, we are having a nice cool wave sweeping over our area and I

can't wait to get my bike out there on the trails once again! You might call me a "fair weather biker" since I don't like doing anything outside when it's hot when I just feel like I'm melting. As a matter of fact, I think I lost a few inches of height in the last few years and I'm starting to look like Danny DeVito! I'm

just saying......!

Well, that is all for now. Continue to enjoy the gift that God has given us in each other!

Peace,

Fr. David