Monday, November 22, 2010

Trip to Europe/Golf Tournament

Greetings to all of you!

As promised I wish to give you some more highlights about our trip to Europe. After Greece, we traveled to the country of Turkey and its outstanding beauty! I didn't expect to find that the western part of this country was made up of large mountains and fertile valleys but I was impressed by its peacefulness and beauty. Our first stop was to the ruins of Ephesus where Paul did much of his preaching, and I couldn't get over how progressive and modernistic the people of Ephesus were. The beauty of Ephesus was outstanding with all its marble structures and mosaics even on its sidewalks. We saw where Paul preached in its amphitheater and on some of the rolling hills where I could imagine thousands listening to his every word. We then traveled to a small town way up in the hills where legend has it that Mary, along with the Apostle John, built a small house in which she lived out her remaining days. It's hard to digest what was in front of us as we strode through this modest home and the peace and beauty that surrounded it. We had Mass there just outside her house, and some of us bought religious articles to bring back with us. I simply took in the beauty and tried to imagine Our Lady living here in this peaceful place and upon leaving, I said an "Ave" for you all as we went to the bus down the hill. Next week: Galilee!

Last Sunday we completed our annual St. Mark Golf tournament, and again we all had a marvelous time! God provided us with great weather, and we made some money for our building fund to boot! Of course, I was on the 7th hole again this year as an easy mark for anybody who wanted to "Beat the Priest", and it seemed that the heavy breezes kept many people from fulfilling that quest! I have to say though that my best shot of the day came against my snotty brothers who tried to intimidate me with great shots onto the green. However, I nailed one a few feet away and now I have bragging rights for another year! I thank Chuck and Lois Lewandowski and the golf committee in all their efforts in making this day a great success!

Well that is all for now. Let's enjoy the great weather and keep our Lord close to your heart!

Peace,

Fr. David