Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Tall Tale

Greetings to all of you!

There are some days when you get up in the morning and you wonder what this particular day may bring, and sometimes God decides to brighten your day with a big surprise! Well, last week I decided to drive to Ocala and play some golf with my brothers who live there, and which is becoming a nice routine for us. Well, I got there early and decided to treat them to a round of golf since they are always so generous to me. After playing a few holes, we came to the treacherous par 3 fifth hole, 148 yards long over a huge lake. The wind was brutal, blowing against us, feeling like one of those ocean holes at the British Open! In the lake there was what seemed like hundreds of alligators protecting the green which was surrounded by traps deeper than the baloney you're reading here! (But I digress). Anyway, I pull out my 7 iron at first and my brother Frankie talks me out of it, so I decide to hit the 8. I take a mighty swing ,and the ball rockets toward the green. Meanwhile, I see the alligators jumping up out of the water, chomping at the flying ball, trying to intercept it before it hits the green! At that point the tension was palpable, and I wondered if I was going to get out of there alive. Low and behold an angel from Heaven suddenly swoops down and rescues my golf ball from the monstrous alligators, drops it on the green where a squirrel takes it and drops it in the cup! You guessed it, A HOLE IN ONE!! My brothers jump for joy, and I stood there stunned at the events that just took place! It looked like a scene from a Cecil B. De Mille movie! Anyway, I got back in the clubhouse and bought the whole place a drink, (which consisted of 3 guys at the bar, thank God), and went home on cloud nine. I guess it goes to show what God does for us when we practice Stewardship in our lives. Who knows? Maybe YOU, too, can get a hole in one one day!

Well, that's enough for this week! Enjoy the gift that God has given us in each other!

Peace,

Fr. David