Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Update on Election of new Pope

Greetings to all of you!
 
As you read this, the Cardinals are beginning to gather in the Vatican to elect a new Pope and what an exciting time for the Church as the Holy Spirit begins to discern who the next man shall be.  Will he be Italian? European? African? South American? North American? Asian?  I think it's anybody's guess but one thing is certain, our God is a God of surprises so who ever it is, he will be the right person for the times.  We now say goodbye and a multitude of thanks to Benedict XVI for leading our great Church these past eight years.  It was a huge responsibility for this holy and shy intellectual and I'm sure he will rest well in retirement.  May God be with him!  On a side note, I did send my measurements over to Rome just in case.  My mother always told me that I would be Pope someday and I didn't want to disappoint her by not trying!  
 
I've been so impressed by our Elect and Candidates as they get closer and closer to Full Communion in the Catholic Church.  We celebrated the Rite of Election with Bishop Lynch two weeks ago and I'm still on cloud nine with admiration as these individuals shook the hand of the Bishop and now they more determined than ever to become Catholic. We will be celebrating the Scrutinies with the Elect in the next few weeks which is an ancient rite of spiritual self cleansing as they look forward to baptism.  Continue your prayers for them!
 
This week on Thursday, March 7th, every parish in the Diocese will be offering the Rite of Reconciliation from 5 pm to 8 pm at their local parishes. So where ever you are in the Diocese during that time, you will have the opportunity for Confession.  Here at St. Mark we will have 4 priests available so take advantage of this graced opportunity.  
 
Well, that is all for now.  I pray that Lent continues to be a life changing event in your life!
 
Peace,
Fr. David